Leave it to Tyron Woodley to score a career-defining victory just when he needed it the most.
Woodley, who was called into question after a successful welterweight title defense vs. Demian Maia for his inability to score a finish, did just that against top contender Darren Till Saturday night at UFC 228.
Late in the second round, Woodley locked in a choke and forced Till to tap, securing another victory. The submission, though, was his first finish since 2009 when he toppled Rudy Bears.
Woodley, a former standout wrestler in college before embarking on his MMA career, claimed five consecutive submission wins in 2009. This one, though, was his first since.
The loss was the first defeat in the career of Till, who earned his title shot after defeating Stephen Thompson.
Jessica Andrade picked up a first round knockout vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz in the co-main event, making a bold statement to being the next contender to the strawweight title.
Zabit Magomedsharipov had no troubles with Brandon Davis, Jimmie Rivera bested John Dodson and Abdul Razak Alhassan kicked off the main card with a 43-second knockout of Niko Price.
Tatiana Suarez made her own statement on the FX prelims, finishing Carla Esparza and proclaiming herself the next strawweight contender. Aljamain Sterling submitted Cody Stamman, Geoff Neal landed a head-kick that floored Frank Camacho, and Darren Stewart finished Charles Byrd.
Both Diego Sanchez and Jim Miller were victorious on UFC Fight Pass, getting themselves back in the win column.
Complete results are below:
- Tyron Woodley def. Darren Till via submission (D’arce choke) at 4:19 of Round 2 to remain UFC welterweight champion
- Jessica Andrade def. Karolina Kowalkiewicz via KO (strike) at 1:58 of Round 1
- Zabit Magomedsharipov def. Brandon Davis via submission (kneebar) at 3:46 of Round 2
- Jimmie Rivera def. John Dodson via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Abdul Razak Alhassan def. Niko Price via KO (strike) at :43 of Round 1
- Tatiana Suarez def. Carla Esparza via TKO (strikes) at 4:33 of Round 3
- Aljamain Sterling def. Cody Stamman via submission (kneebar) at 3:42 of Round 2
- Geoff Neal def. Frank Camacho via KO (head-kick) at 1:23 of Round 2
- Darren Stewart def. Charles Byrd via TKO (strikes) at 2:17 of Round 2
- Diego Sanchez def. Craig White via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Jim Miller def. Alex White via submission (rear-naked choke) at 1:29 of Round 1
- Irene Aldana def. Lucie Pudilova via split decision (29-28, 28-28, 29-28)
- Jarred Brooks def. Roberto Sanchez via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
You must log in to post a comment.